I started writing this blog on the first of march, a couple of days after I arrived, and although it was almost done at that point in time, somehow I just wasn't able to finish. So I am going to try to give this another try. My wish is that I can be disciplined enough to be able to update my Blog on MONDAYS (every Monday) since I should have time to write it on a Saturday and on a Sunday between services. I can blame laziness for a lot of the non-communication of the past 4 weeks, but at the same time I also have some small excuses, such as; business (we really are quite busy) and I was (still am a little) ill for a while, as can be expected when your diet changes quite suddenly to pretty much rice and beans (which I have not yet grown bored of).

So, here I am. HERE, In BRAZIL, am I, Emma! Seriously. I kid you not. After 18 months of frustration, patience lost, and found, and all sorts of ups and downs in my emotions to the people who make visas at the embassy, here I am. I was so astounded by the amount of people that are happy to have me here. The Brazilian people really are full of grace, so many had been praying for me and were maybe more excited to have me here, then I was to be coming here, if that is possible. Overwhelming.

So I have complied a short list about what I have learnt about Brazil so far:

The men all over the place like to play with their bellybuttons

The women love to play with their hair over their shoulder.

It is HOT. Like, very HOT.

Water is a luxury - which is why I’m surprised that people manage to have 3 showers a day and be so well put together all of the time.

Lycra is IN.

The children are beautiful, which I think must be some sort of gene that has evolved for survival, because they are also naughty, but it’s almost impossible to stay mad at them when they look at you with their big brown eyes and curly locks. They have been getting away with all sorts (although in my capoeira classes I make sure that if they don’t behave they have to do 20 sit ups, that sure works).

People like to smile here.


I live with a family in a community called Tejipio. My family are lovely, although, it’s not always as easy to fit in with a new set of people at my age (I kid you not, a quarter of a century feels old, especially with my knees!). Hannah is my sister, my friend and my college, she lives and works with me and has been amazing at keeping me on the right side of things. I have not been mugged or run over yet, I think that’s a lot to do with Hannah. I’m very thankful for her. Although, she and I do not share the same taste in music. No sir. Fatima, our mother has a wicked sense of humour and makes our meals. She’s very nurturing. Paulinho, our father is very protective of us, and looks out for us above and beyond his call of duty.

Tejipio is a poor community, but not a favela. It is pretty peaceful (in the Brazilian sense of things) and although there had been some problems before I arrived with some guy on the streets, he was picked up before I arrived so the streets are safe now. Hannah and I are lucky to be living very near our project ( I will write more about our Project next week!), which saves us HOURS daily, that other striders have to travel.

It’s taken me some time to settle in, and I was in fact missing Finnish snow and coldness, and Scottish mountains and rain for the first wee while, but every day that I wake up to the sunshine is a brighter day. I’m not struggling with the language too much, I’m loving being surrounded by music everywhere I go. I love walking around in my community and being greeted by people on the streets, and having the children from our project run down the street to say hello.

I am also currently a big fan of Brazilian transportation. Buses and metros work well. Especially when you get them in the right direction, and not in the wrong direction that takes you 40 minutes in the other direction of your destination before you even realise. Not that I know anything about things like that.

There is so much to say, and yet, I feel like for now this is probably enough. I miss you all (expect people I don’t know who might be reading this, I don’t miss you, but I appreciate your time and hope you come to read again) and hope that you are all thriving.

Lord Bless

Yours ,
Emma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday: I'm writing this from a hammock

DIA LINDO

Men are seldom more commonplace than on supreme occasions-Samuel Butler