“The ant is knowing and wise, but he doesn't know enough to take a vacation”

This week I would like to introduce you to several of my new groups of friends:

1. The largest and by far more involved in my life are my little ant friends. In fact, I am misleading you a little bit because in fact this group has many subgroups, all whom play a large role in my life; There are the little ones, the ones that you would normally not have the capacity to even see with normal human eyes if it wasn´t for the fact that they move in swarms of thousands, over anything and everything that they may misconstrue as sustanance. If you make the mistake of vacuum sealing a bag with bread in it, and there is a nanometer of space that even air can not pass through, you can bet your bottom dollar that the ants can make their way into the bag, and the next time that you go to lift a piece of bread out, your hand comes out crawling with ants, at least at that point you are not so upset about the bread, because you have definately lost your appetite for the rest of the week. These little guys also get into your dirty laundry, so that has to be ziplocked away as well, which can be a little tricky. If you drop one crumb on the floor, then you have a ants nest form ontop of it within about 4seconds. Yes, good friends, constant visitors our miniants.

The next subgroup are the miniants, but in the crazy burning pain red variety. You can´t really see these guys, but all of the sudden in the most random places, all of a sudden your feet just start hurting like mad, like you´ve stood on a sea urchin and are about to die if you can´t get to a hospital quickly. But no, it´s not that. It´s just little anty friends. And if you happen to cry out at the serious burning pain that 100 of these little guys can inflict on you, no, heaven forbid, if you do cry out, every single Brazilian in the 20 mile radius, thinks that it is the funniest thing that they have seen in the past year.

Then you have the two subgroups of Big Ants. Which might just be mutated small ants, because they work in the same way, but are ridiculously big, like the seagulls in Aberdeen. The little ants you can deal with, but the big ones come out at night when it´s dark, and you turn the lights on in your room and it is swarming with dog sized ants over EVERYTHING that you own, including your bed. The other type of big ant has wings. YES! And we eat them. I say we, but I don´t mean I.

Then there are the roach friends. Who amble along the streets, and inside the project (not so many in the house, and they prefer the bathroom. But I don´t go there in the dark, just in case); Roaches don´t really do anything, they just kind of scuttle, but their scuttling is a little creepy and offensive, but that might just be prejudice on my part. But the thing that I know is that, where there are roaches, there are scorpions. And I have seen enough Indiana Jones movies to know that I am to be afraid of Scorpions. So I am. Although the ones here are little and yellow, and don´t seem so scary, although I was told that all scorpions are venemous, but to varying degrees, and the little ones here that we have, they would hurt, but not kill. I just don´t think that I will test that theory out.

With these types of little scuttling friends, and ants, I have discovered why the brazilians love their Havaianas. They are the best weapon against these types of friends. And there is a very satisfying crunch most of the time, and then it just wipes off the rubber quickly and easily.

There are bigger friends here too. I am never lonely that is for sure. There are the rats. A couple of whom I had in my bedroom recently. And the stray poodles, and cats. Although they are less offensive, they generally just follow you about for a little bit and then are put off by the fact that you make funny faces at them and then they leave you alone. Although the cats and dogs in particular break your heart. And you can never be sure whether they are stray or not. The general rule is no touchy in any case. So problem averted.

I thought that I would give a quick discription of these little guys, so when I refer to them in the future you may have a better idea what I am talking about. And because the activities of this week have left me fuming with workmen and the rain, so I thought I need a breather so that blog this week wouldn´t be yet another rant.
See, I´m learning

Much Love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday: I'm writing this from a hammock

Finding Joy in the Season

DIA LINDO