..Never despise the ordinary..

·    

  If any of you are feeling a little twinge of jealousy of me being out here in hot Brazil, out in the sun. It might make you feel better that it has been on and off raining for a week. And it’s not light spittle that covers the city for most of the day, it’s pretty torrential, and everything is now wet. So don’t be jealous, yet, the sun is yet to be the primary component of weather here. Personally, I am loving it, the weather is helping me acclimatize, and means I have an excuse to drink tea.

·    
  It has been a busy and a little bit of a stressful week. With the new building, meetings with the outreach groups, weddings and 6am cycles. But mostly we have been a little preoccupied with little Baby Samuel’s health. He has not been very well this week, and we have been to the hospital twice with him. Thankfully, today he seems to be on the mend, and is more active and giggling, but it has been stressful for both Tomas and Carol, and I have been trying to help in any way I can, which has mainly been sitting and watching Masha and the Bear on the laptop (my new favourite children’s programme).


·     
I have spent a lot of time this week on google translate, trying to prepare material for different activities and programmes in the church. There is a lot of great material out there today for many different courses and studies that the church can run, but there is very little that has been made available to those who do not speak English. I have been trying to work out the difference between need and want for some of these courses. Many are unaware that they are even available in their content for their community. In particular I have been concentrating on two specific translation ‘projects’. One is, the Village Church’s ‘Beautiful Design’ sermon series, and bible study. Which I have found personally incredibly encouraging and helpful, but this is a series of about 10 sermons, and one sermon takes me about a full day of hard translation work to get into any kind of understandable shape, and to be fair, someone who is native speaker will have to do even more work with it after that! So, it is not an easy process, but I feel that it is a very worthwhile one! Although my fingers are numb and my head sore by the end of the day.

The second project that I have started to develop this week came from several conversations I have been involved in this week in particular, about people’s anxieties. Both those in the church and those outside of it. And this is one of those subjects that has been reoccurring for me in the past 5 years, no matter where in the world I have been! The universal issue of money and personal finances. In Scotland I was blessed to be able to be a part of the CAP network, but CAP is not available to be run as a course here in Brazil, nor would it be relevant to the context here, because, although the route of the issue is the same, how it works itself out is somewhat different in Brazil, then it would be in the UK, and this has to do with the availability of Bank Accounts, Finance Laws, Card Payments, and so on and so forth. So, the bigger project that I feel I have ahead of me currently, is to try and contextualise that which I have learnt through CAP into the context here in Recife. As usual though, it appears God is moving ahead of me, as my research is made easier daily by new material available in the sermons I have been listening too, or the blogs that I have been reading, or as the main article on the Gospel Coalition website. Universally, the issue of personal finances is coming to the forefront. The Church (worldwide) has finally begun to recognise its position in the training and leading of people in managing their personal finances. The liberation that this brings to people, the ability it gives them to be generous and to live their lives abundantly regardless of financial income, and the alleviation of stress that this brings in the realisation that money is not in charge of a person, but that it is there to serve them, what a blessing and what a freedom to live with more joy in a godly manner. This is what we are aiming for. I have 2 weeks to put my material together, before my first group that I will be leading. This group is a prayer meeting of pastor’s wives, after this, I am hoping to roll this material out to people within the church, and finally to use it in the community/social context.
 

Please continue to be praying our big move that is coming up in 2 weeks. We are trying to make sure we have working toilets and some working lights at least for our first Sunday in the new building. I must say that I have learnt a lot more respect for our Elders involved in the building project at Hebron, as I have watched from very close by Tomas, Maurilio, and the leadership of the church handling all of the finances and organization for the new building, trying to work out what it means to be a good steward, who to hire for the building project, what is a priority, and so many more other decisions that need to be made, alongside all the other everyday business of church life. So, Thank you Elders at Hebron. And I’m sorry I didn’t say it more often.

P.s. If you would like email alerts for this blog. This is possible by going to the main page of the blog; emsinbrasil.blogspot.com and in the top lefthand corner is a pull down menu, if you click on that a menu comes down, and about halfway down is box for you to enter your email address in! This will make it easier to follow along, as you will get a notification of when I have woken up and posted the blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Men are seldom more commonplace than on supreme occasions-Samuel Butler

“Once you'd resolved to go, there was nothing to it at all.”

Wednesday: I'm writing this from a hammock