Monday: Emotions were made to execute change





Psalm 12:5
"Because of the devastation of the afflicted, because of the groaning of the needy, Now I will arise," says the LORD; "I will set him in the safety for which he longs."


Hello All!

The temperature is rising here, summer is on its’ way, which means we have entered into a month of targeted action to the city, and we are all in that stage of adulting where we enter into arguments about who is more tired than the last person. But I must say that it has all, so far been very worth it.

I know I haven’t written in a couple of weeks. This is mainly due to the fact that I stopped and started a bunch of possible posts, making it about half way through each before realising that I wanted to write about something else! And through this process I realised that it was ONE big post that I should be writing, but perhaps to describe the events that have been happening over the last couple of weeks and my day to day life,  should actually be written up in a little series of posts covering a week. So, welcome to my trial week of mini-blogs.

 So our church is participating in a movement called GODSTOCK, for the month of November (the explanation for the name is longwinded and I’m not particularly sold on it, so we will just skip over that part), this means that throughout the month we have prepared actions throughout the city to inundate the city with examples of the love of God. It has been a wonderful throwback to the times that we used to have with Voz na Rua in the days before we planted the church. The whole fellowship gets involved with the dream to see a city touched by the love of God through the local church.

We started our action with the night of Flowers for Angels, and what a start this was. I think in describing the night to some of my friends there in Scotland, I used the phrase “I don’t know if I will ever emotionally recover from this evening”, and I am fully aware that this is hyperbole, and I guess what I meant is that I don’t want to forget the way we felt hearing each of the stories that night. That I don’t want to forget the reality of the situation of those that are selling themselves on the streets, the life-stories, the situations, and the plight of women who are desperate to care for their families, and have found the only way that they feel they can to be able to do this.

The idea behind this evening in the church was that we would transform the church back into the restaurant that it was before we started working on it. We set up a beautiful dining room, with a live band, and some restaurant quality food and décor, and then we sent 10 couples out on to the street corners, to invite sex workers to come and spend the evening with us.  When the couple returned with the girls, they would spend the evening having silver service dinner together. At the end of the evening we washed the feet of the girls, in a biblical show of love for the girls, and took them where-ever they wanted to go.

This is not the first time that the church has been able to participate in this kind of work, but it was a first time for me, and although my role for the night was as photographer meant that I wasn’t able to directly communicate or hear the girls’ stories, but I got to meet them all, and after, when I did hear their stories, I was glad I hadn’t been in that situation, because knowing me, I would have made promises to each of them that I realistically couldn’t keep.  We had women from many walks of life join us that night, we had girls who didn’t look much older than 15, we had women in their late 40’s and 50’s. We had women who were grandparents by the age of 29, and women who were in university trying to study their way to a better life, but paying the way through prostitution. One girl was taken to the streets by her first ever boyfriend, who needed her to pay for his drug habit, which he passed on to her once she was broken from having to sell herself. The reality is that many of the stories began with a decision made for these women, by a boyfriend, an abusive family member, or by a community. None of these women saw this as a glorious situation, and many were afraid for their families, and for their own lives.
My sense of justice is outraged by the situation of these women, and I wish I was in a position where I could eradicate this type of slavery off of our streets, but that wasn’t possible for this one night, but what we could do is show them love. Many of the girls were surprised by the care that people had for them, many were as emotional as I was, and couldn’t quite understand why someone would want to care for them, show the love. For some it was a simple dream fulfilled to have a fancy dinner, some were sceptical as well – knowing that one night of care wasn’t going to change societies view of them.

I wish I could tell you all the stories of all the women we met that night, I wish I could show you the portraits that I had the honour of taking of these women, but in order to protect the identity and safety of the girls. You will just have to take my word for it, - loving the downtrodden and the outliers is in our mandate, and God gives us hearts changed for those who need it. We are grateful for this opportunity and for the next steps that it has led us too.

"He raises the poor from the dust, He lifts the needy from the ash heap To make them sit with nobles, And inherit a seat of honor; For the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, And He set the world on them.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Men are seldom more commonplace than on supreme occasions-Samuel Butler

“Once you'd resolved to go, there was nothing to it at all.”

Wednesday: I'm writing this from a hammock